Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Salsa Meat Loaf

I know that most everyone has their style of Meatloaf, either that was passed down from their mothers or they've discovered for themselves. I wanted to share ours, my inspiration came from a recent magazine article that I read about the worlds most " Famous" meatloaves. Some people use barbecue sauce, some use ketchup, some use tomato paste, I even saw one with pesto, but not one was made fresh from scratch without using some sort of  "canned" or pre-packaged ingredients.  My mother- in- law gave me the recipe for this one, and I have since elliminated pretty much all the pre-packaged ingrediants so I'll give you both versions, but for something a little Non traditional its pretty good stuff!

Her version:

2 cans of petite diced regular stewed tomatoes
1 can of rotel (spice is your's to decide, we use mild)
2 eggs
1/2 (approx) a roll of crackers crushed
1 lb of hamburger meat (can use turkey, chicken, or pork)
1/2 Onion diced
Salt and pepper

Drain tomatoes and rotel, Stir together. Divide in 1/2 set 1 half aside for later use
Combine meat, eggs, crackers, and 1/2 the tomato mixture. Season to taste.
Place in greased pan
Bake at 350 for 1 hour. (drain at each 30 min. mark)
Top with reserved tomato mixture, and bake for additional 15 min.

My Version:

6 Med. sized Roma tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 Bell pepper (can use any spiced pepper)
1/2 Onion                                    
1/2 package of crackers crushed (I use whole grain crackers)
2 eggs
1 lb of ground meat
Salt and Pepper




Dice all of the above veggies and combine. Reserve 1/2 for topping.
Combine Ground Beef, 1/2 Veggie Mix, Eggs, and Crackers. Season to taste.
Place in greased pan
Bake at 350 for 1 hour. (drain at each 30 min. mark)
Top with reserved tomato mixture, and bake for additional 15 min.

*** If you'd like your veggies cooked not just heated place topping on top before placing in the oven for 1 hour.

How do you cook meat loaf?

1 comment:

Megan said...

This sounds great!! I love the way you "natural-ed" up your version...so yummy!! My hubs would love all the peppers, but I'd want to leave them out :)

And I can't answer how I cook meat loaf....because I never have!