Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Creamy pasta with leeks, peas and parmesan (and grilled chicken pieces)

I'm constantly finding things I want to try and cook to see if we like. This one had no meat, and for the most part it wouldn't bother me but I have 3 guys in my house who would have had a fit without meat of some sort so I added grilled chicken strips and mmmm mmmm mmm was it good!

http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Creamy-Pasta-with-Leeks-Peas-Parmesan-Recipe

Heres a simple 30 min meal...

12 oz of orecchiette pasta
1 10 oz pkg prozen peas
1 lemon
2 TBSP Olive oil
4 leeks (white and light green parts only) sliced into half moons
kosher salt and pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
2 Tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (approx 1 oz)
 grilled chicken strips if desired diced and cooked ahead of time

1) Cook the pasta according to package directions, adding in the peas during the last 2 minutes

2) Meanwhile, using a veggie peeler remove 4 strips of zest from the lemon and thinly slice on a diagonal

3) Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook stirring occasionally until tender 6-8 minutes.  Add the cream, lemon zest and nutmeg and simmer until slightly thickened 2-3 min.

4)  Add the pasta peas and pre cooked (ahead of time) chicken strips to the skillet and toss to combine fold in tarragon. sprinkle with parmesan cheese befrore serving.

2 comments:

Rachael West said...

Oh man that looks good - thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

YUM! This does sound good! I'd have to skip the leeks, and pick all the peas out of Kaylee's bowl, but other than that, we'd be good to go. Knowing me, I'd probably add extra cheese too, cause I'm a cheese-aholic!