Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cleaning Stainless Appliances

      Stainless appliances are probably the most popular choice for new appliances now days. I for one have them, and although they are beautiful brand new they often become tarnished with little fingerprints, food, and little 4 legged friends nose prints. (See pictures) With it being the most popular appliance color, cleaning product companies have bombarded the shelves. Because of this, we get asked ALL the time "What are the best products for polishing, cleaning and keeping (insert stainless appliance) free from prints. While not being harmful to my appliances and family." (please forgive the crude looking pictures, I was trying to walk around the build up of JUNK in my kitchen, FYI my appliances are almost 10 years old and have been through 2 moves, so there are a few scratches and dents, but most of that is fingerprints)




     The answer: While a lot of the products will work and keep MINIMAL prints, etc. off the appliances short term, there is NO product designed specifically for stainless products that works long term. The reason is because the majority of said products are ALCOHOL based, therefore evaporate after a few hours. However there is a product that you might just have in your home that will work long term. Murphy's oil soap, Holloway House Lemon oil, or any that's like those. (As a bonus they  also keep soap scum and hard water build up from glass shower doors!!!) I have heard though I've never tried, that mineral oil works just as well for both. So if someone wants to try it and let me know!  You obviously wont need much. Just a few drops on a soft cloth or paper towel and rub away leaving a thin layer of oil ! TA DA!





***** Don't forget, If you have any questions on any appliance whether cleaning, maintenance, or repairs, please feel free to ask, I'd love to help!

2 comments:

emily said...

Thanks for the tip! I don't have stainless appliances, but I might one day. I'll have to file that away for future consideration.

Megan said...

Great tips! We're not in on all the trendyness and all our appliances are black. I read somewhere else that someone recommend using steel wool to clean stainless steel. Sounded a little iffy to me. I'd think that would scratch terribly.